ROSTRUM – The Speakers Club
ROSTRUM- The Speakers’ Club at Alva’s is a platform for students to thought-process in various socio-cultural, political issues for over a decade. Rostrum brings in about 15 speakers a year and conducts activities like debate, panel discussion, campus parliament and many more.
Rostrum aims at preparing students for professional world, giving much impetus on academic and corporate aspects. With this thought in mind, Alva’s Education Foundation has provided a platform for students as an apt avenue for public speaking. The objective of this forum is to provide opportunities for its members to listen to great speakers; clarify their thoughts and dispel the doubts directly from the experts on prevalent social, economic, political topics. Our club has around 3200 students from various domains such as Engineering, Medical, Management, Arts, Commerce and Journalism degrees.
The following activities are the flagship events under Rostrum.
Rostrum conducts around 15 guest talks in a year. The speakers’ are eminent personalities with expertise knowledge in their domain. The student governing board discusses and finalizes on topics which they feel is apt for the student members. The talk is followed by a Q/A session for 1 hour where students can dispel their doubts and get it clarified from the experts.
Some of the speakers of international repute hosted by Rostrum are:
- Guru Gaur Gopal Das, International Life Coach
- Dr. Ravi N Margasahayam, International Space Station Safety (Retd.), NASA
- Dr. B.M. Hegde, Former VC, Manipal University
- Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyer, Former Union Minister, INC
- Padma Shri Dr. Dinesh Singh, Ex-VC, Delhi University
- Padmashri Dr. A S Kiran Kumar, Ex-Chairman, ISRO
- Justice Santosh Hegde, Former Lokayukta, Karnataka
- Padmabhushan Dr B N Suresh, Former Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Research Centre
- Dr Subramaniam Swamy, Former Harvard Professor and Union Minister
- Dr MK Sridhar, Former member of Knowledge Commission, Karnataka
- Mr. Daya Nayak, Police Officer, Govt of Maharastra
Panel Discussion is an event where the students though process on topics on current affairs, conservative and reserved topics like Nationalism, Reservations, Demonetization, Triple talaq and many more. Domain Experts are also brought to discussions who throw light on facts and figures on those topics. Rostrum has conducted closed room panel discussion and events open panel discussions.
Rostrum in association with Hindu Group conducts state level debate competition every year. Students from various streams and courses from across the state take part in this competition. Every year the event has set a new benchmark in terms of the quality of the debate. 580 students across the state participated last year. Topics like Swacch Bharat Mission, Farm Loan Waiver , Minimum Educational Qualification for Politicians, Credibility of Media, Socio-Economic value in Indian Cinemas were debated on by finalists last year.